Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Feathering the crib, part one

I realize now that when I was first pregnant, I was overly ambitious. It's somewhat relative to the amount I have ignored the reality that labor will happen. When I look at my list of all the items I intended to make a few months ago I shake my head. As in, what was I thinking? And this was before things got even busier with some other changes we're making in the house category.

Nonetheless, all the supplies and fabric have been purchased so my sewing area will need to be a part-time sweat shop in the coming two months. Last week I decided to take on what I felt would be the hardest, the crib comforter. In many ways, it was really simple, it was just the covered cording (below), that was intimidating me. The end result though, I love. Of course, I see all of my, thankfully small, mistakes but it turned out just right for what we need. Rob and I are both thinking I will need to make one for us sometime, in the least, a throw for the couch. I used bamboo batting for the fill, and it's so incredibly soft and cozy. Plus it was much more economically feasible than the crib sets I liked. The beauty of sewing is that you can knock off what you like to a degree, which is exactly what I did.


Part deux of feathering the crib will be the bumper and hopefully a mattress, and then on to a few more, okay several more, projects.

More pictures of this project and others are up (and will be) on our Flickr photo stream (see to the right) along with our day trip to Whidbey Island and Fairhaven (home of the best French toast, ever).

2 comments:

Shahnaz said...

It looks great, Keli! Very cool. Your little babe will sleep like an angel all cozied up in your handmade goods. Enjoy your projecting while you have it!

Rebecca said...

Oh, Kel. It's so cute! I love, love, love it. You're so dang talented. You're going to have the most fashionable baby ever.